Saturday, June 29, 2013

Google Ghosts - A Cyber Psychic Serial by Tony Baksa - Episode 5 - The The

EPISODE 5 - The The

                                      



Artie was running as fast as was possible. The shape - the thing - the The - was coming after him but strangely seemed to move ever so slowly yet was always on Artie's heels. It was like those slow moving zombies in bad Sci-Fi's that lumber along but always seem to catch their fast moving prey. A monster cliché to be sure but here it was presenting itself to Artie. So all he could do was run until he could no longer run. Which meant the The would get him. Artie reasoned, why continue running. What did it matter. He would lose. The The would win. Bravely, Artie stopped running. He just stopped.

He slowly turned around trembling. Where was the The. A form began to loom out of the greyness. It grew larger and larger. It took shape. It was very black. The shape was like a giant shadow. The shadow of a person - arms, legs, head - the whole package. Artie couldn't tell if it was a man or a woman. The face was not discernible nor were any other bodily features. The The was one humongous shadow - a shadow that seemed to vibrate as it loomed.

The The just hovered doing nothing. Artie said nothing. The only sound was the void and the trembling from Artie and the vibrating from The The.
                                          


Artie could only wonder what happens now. Edward G. Robinson's line from that old movie strangely ran through his mind "Is this the end of Rico?"  What happened next was, to make an understatement, unexpected.

The The exploded in laughter. It was like rolling thunder. "Is this the end of Rico" it bellowed. It kept repeating the line and laughing its stormy laugh.  "Is this the end of Rico? I love it! I love it!"

Artie was astounded and amazed. "I have a monster who is a fan of Trivial Pursuit. " he thought.

"Trivial Pursuit?" announced the The and he was off on another round of thunderous mirth.

"He's reading my mind just like Gregory" thought Artie.

"No not just like Gregory!" the The screamed. His laughter ceased on a dime with this statement.

Artie thought he must have somehow offended this entity. But he didn't know how.

"Gregory cannot read minds at will. I CAN" angrily explained the The.

"Are you going to kill me?" Artie boldly asked.

"I don't know." the The stated.

"Well, when will you know." Artie really didn't want an answer.

"You don't really want me to answer that. Do you?" the The teased.

"It is not fun talking to someone who not only knows what you are thinking but knows what you are feeling." complained Artie.

The The stopped vibrating. He stood tall and flat against the grey void.

Artie waited.

The The spoke, "You're right. I'll turn it off. I'll not listen in. But on one condition. You must stop thinking of me as the The!"

"Yes, absolutely." said Artie. "Absolutely!"

"And stop trembling. I SAID STOP TREMBLING!"

"Right. Uh huh". thought Artie. "I'll try." he said.

"Good because there is no reason for you to fear me. I know your dilemma. I want to help you." the The said trying to sound less intimidating. He was no fool. He was fully aware of his effect on other beings. It was his cross to bear.

"Who are you?" said a less trembling Artie.

"Well, I'm not the The for one thing."

"I'm sorry" - Artie meekly said.

The The softened even more as he explained, "To be completely forthright, I don't know how to say this - well, okay - here it is - I do not know who I am. I do not know what I am. I just know that I am."

Artie was speechless and subsequently so was the The. A long time passed before a word was spoken. It was our Artie who broke the silence, "What shall I call you?"

The The hesitated then said, " I - um - call myself - well, you see, I - um - I call myself Bob."

Now it was Artie's turn to laugh and laugh he did practically rolling on the grey ground. Oddly enough, the The, or , that is, Bob did not react violently. He accepted the silliness of it all. Bob was not a stupid being. Not at all.

"Oh, I am so sorry. Please - I am sorry." Artie pleaded.

"Its quite alright. Just let this be your last laugh at my expense. Understood?" Bob knew he had the upper hand and liked extending the fear factor.

"Understood - uh - Bob."

"Now, you want to go home, right? And you want to see your parents, sister and some friends, right?

"Yes - yes I do."

"Well, you can't have everything. What is your preference - home or see the friends and family? You cannot have both."

"Why not?"

"I can't do both for you. So which is it?"

"But why can't you do both. If you can do whichever I choose, then you can do both. You just won't do both. Why?

"Watch it" Bob warned. "You have no idea what you are saying. So be careful. My kindness has limits. Make your choice! " he demanded.

"I - I can't - I can't - I don' know what to do. I want to understand. I can't just go home and never know why this is happening to me."

"Then you have decided." Bob stated.
 
"I guess I have. I can't go home ignorant. And you will help me?

"Yes."

"Okay - okay, Bob. What now?

"Walk over to me. Keep walking. Do not stop. Just walk as if you mean to walk through me. Of course you won't but just do as I say." 
                                      


Artie's trembling returned. He timidly began his short stroll toward the giant shadow named Bob. Slowly he ventured into Bob's blackness. The grey disappeared from around Artie. All, now, was blackness. Bob began to vibrate as before. Artie trembling also as before was drawn into the shadow and vanished. He lost consciousness - well, not quite. It was like a remembered experience - like the time he had his tonsils out - the mask of ether placed over his face - the spinning black and white spiral - the feeling that he was floating  - and all the while not thinking

one

single

thought. 

                                 

6 comments: