Thursday, February 7, 2013

Flacco & The Gladiators

                                                         


Watching football on television was never my thing. Long and tedious with annoying commentary, it seems the perfect couch potato endeavor - a very starchy pastime - pass the wings - another pepperoni slice. But give me a game like this recent Super Bowl and its Grand Theater approaching operatic heights. Flacco, Jacoby Jones, a power outage, Beyonce's burlesque, million dollar commercials and a nail biter finale added up to a theatrical event that would be the envy of Cameron Macintosh.

Now to break it down from the view point of a theater geek:
  • The game in a word was SPECTACULAR!  I was rooting for the 49'ers but applauding the brilliance of the Ravens - not to say that San Fran wasn't brilliant - their 2nd half performance almost took it away - but, geez, Jones' 108 yard kickoff return was amazing!
  • Beyonce was pretty ridiculous. Back in the day you'd pay 2 bits to see what they used to call exotic dancers do what she does. Exotic dancers were strippers who kept their clothes on - barely - no pun intended. Half time was half baked time.
  • The power outage may have hurt the Ravens in terms of momentum BUT it was such an interesting element to an already dramatic evening in New Orleans.
  • The commercials were lame but fun because of their lameness. Who doesn't like to sit around at home judging? However, I did fancy the Joe Montana stain commercial - a great send up of those stories you see on the news every now and then - you know, the ones where some nut swears they can see Jesus' image in a potato chip.
  • But, for me the Super Bowl experience that had my heart racing as if I were watching "Jaws" for the very first time was the last 4 seconds. Having been made a believer by now, I was so sure the 49'ers would pull it off. Shows you just how much I really know about football.
 Super Bowl 2013 was great theater - an exciting game that transcended for me my indifference to football and most specifically to the over blown, over produced, over hyped annual Super Bowl. I just may tune in next February 2014. Hey, maybe they'll get Nikki Minaj for half time.

2 comments:

  1. The woman in the Joe Montana stain commercial was an NU grad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine Gordon ScarsellaFebruary 9, 2013 at 12:08 AM

    Me.....I just wanted my numbers !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete