Thursday, March 7, 2013

Phoenix Rising



Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor. It is as simple as that. Every so many years, Mr. Phoenix brings to the movie world astonishing portrayals. His latest performance is an absolute triumph. In "The Master" Joaquin Phoenix documents a character, Freddie Quell, with amazing raw organic energy. You will not see a more original and authentic performance anywhere. Mr. Phoenix inhabits the skin and bones of Freddie with such a ferocity that it is down right scary. I was enormously fascinated with Freddie Quell - a character that you'd run from if you encountered him on first instinct. Yet, you will care for this nut bar and at the same time worry for the people that he encounters. With a physicality - slumped shoulders, an indescribable gait, and a sort of signature stance - arms angled outward as hands rest on his waist - Joaquin Phoenix is riveting.

Mr. Phoenix has an impressive body of work in film that gets forgotten due to his off screen shenanigans. Well, like many of the characters he portrays, Joaquin is a nut bar it seems. But aren't most artists? I think so. There are stars, celebrated actors ( Meryl Streep, Brando, DeNiro, Daniel Day Lewis, Claire Danes etc. ), and great actors - the aforementioned and great uncelebrated actors. I believe Joaquin Phoenix deserves more respect. Yes, he has been nominated several times for Oscars and Golden Globes and critics awards. So he is celebrated that way. But, I never hear his name brought up in conversations about great actors. I don't know why. Could it be that some of his very best performances are not seen by a wide audience. 'The Master", "Inventing The Abbotts", 8MM and "Quills" plus quite a bit more. He is known for 'Walk The Line" , "Signs", 'The Village", "Gladiator" and "Hotel Rwanda" But were these movies that widely seen?

The thing is, I am over the moon about Joaquin Phoenix so, of course, I want everyone else to be over the moon as well. Go to Red Box. Rent "The Master" and see if I'm not right. The movie is not an easy one but stay with it. I think Joaquin Phoenix was the magnet that had me holding on until all became clear. It is a PT Anderson film - "Magnolia", "There Will Be Blood" - so expect a bumpy ride - a ride that is so worth it with Joaquin Phoenix in the driver's seat. 

3 comments:

  1. We'll, I'm convinced. I'll be watching 'The Master'. Excellent writing / persuasive essay. Tony, I must say, I believe I'm now looking Forward to your Blog (v. Just reading it to read...).
    I feel compelled to encourage you to attempt to unite your Blogs into a novel and submit them to a bunch of publishers. You're GOOD! XÒ Conjur Woman. (Kisses to G!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amber, for those encouraging words. I do like to write and find at the end of the day, I can devote a little time to my new past time. Glenn sends his best to you.

      Delete
  2. Well said about the artisit!

    ReplyDelete