Tuesday, July 30, 2013

MY GRIEF

                                             
 

Grief is a funny thing. It is experienced in many different ways. It must be. I don't find myself not eating or crying all the time or obsessing about the past. I know that is how some people grieve.

                                        



I have discovered something recently. I am a griever like everybody else. However, I do not seem to grieve like everybody else. For me it comes in waves - sometimes in moments - sometimes a prick of a sensation - an essence - and I am filled up with a presence - other times a longing - a yearning - a strange feeling of suspense as if something is about to happen - to be revealed - to change everything And the grief will turn into relief. There are those episodes where I feel like I am dreaming knowing full well I am wide awake and functioning. I think, as fleeting as these experiences are for me, grief does not come and go. Grief comes and stays. It rises to the surface - submerges - reappears as if to be fed - rests and then a while later wakes up inside of me. All the time lurking - watching - waiting to surface - not going away - like a retro virus.

                                        


How do you manage grief? You just deal. You control it rather than it controlling you. You acknowledge it - feel it - and lay it to rest. Grief will obey. This routine will keep you sane. It will even comfort you. In time, grief will become your friend. It will keep the object of your grief close to you proving that no one really dies. You won't be able to explain why this is so but you will know deep in your heart of hearts that it is true. Your well managed grief will serve as a tribute to the one for whom you grieve.

                                  
 


My grief is good. My grief is necessary. My grief is solace.

                                   
 
 
 
 


14 comments:



  1. Absolutely eloquent & right on the mark. I'm still grieving so many things - my "old life", the deaths of beloved family, friends, & pets. Grief likes to pop out and shock you when you least expect it. It is sneaky, it can knock the wind out of you, but yes-it can make you stronger, which is a living tribute to the power of memories, nostalgia, & love for those who went before... Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just never seems to go away returning when you think it has finally gone. You learn to live with it. You have no other choice.

      Delete
    2. You KNOW I loved this one. I am infatuated with all things heartwrenchingly morose...

      Delete


    3. I do SO hate the lack of choice in all matters of mortality, though.
      P.S. - I gather YOU probably don't, but when we wax philosophical, I fancy we're Turn-O-The-Century, Absinthe & Opium ingesting deep thinking & independently wealthy Libertines, staying up nights, mulling over a latest interpretation of HMS pinafore lines involving Press v. Press, arguing & admiring the finer points of Keats...

      Delete
    4. ha-ha - yes, indeed - "the wee small hours of the morning" philosophers.

      Delete
  2. "Grief comes and stays." Touched my own grief...love the piece and love your writing, and love you too. Mimi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, M - love you, too - Sometimes I feel no, they're still here - I got it wrong - I'll call them - its just fleeting but seems like a possibility for a split second - that's part of my grief and what I'm trying to convey. I first felt this when Ma passed. Now, almost everyday I am visited with this same possibility with Gloria.

      Delete
  3. This has been an incredibly wonderful post.
    Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. great topic. Thank you for fantastic post. I
    was in search of this for my mission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Finally I got a web site from where I be
    capable of genuinely obtain helpful facts regarding my study and knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your blog..

    ReplyDelete